Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Search Ponder and Pray

Hey guess what! I got 50 page views on my first blog post. 2 were from different countries, and although I feel completely creeped out by that, I'm also feeling like one kool kat!
---> T-Minus 6 days until I turn in my mission papers <---
Here's a little random thought that's been going through my mind... My number one advice to everyone when preparing for a mission, or maybe just preparing for life in general, is to study. I'm not talking about the opening your scriptures right before you fall asleep and reading 2 verses type of thing (yes I'm guilty of that). I mean setting aside time in your day, everyday, for the Lord. How hard can it be? He has given us everything, so can't we sit down and show a little dedication?
     Here's the average 3 step program.... 1) Starting with prayer, then 2) searching scriptures and 3) pondering. I hope the primary song "Search Ponder and Pray" just popped into your head.
     I'd like to propose a fourth step. That is to carefully write down what we learn, our thoughts, our impressions in a journal. On the front of the seminary journals they give us every year is a quote that I will attempt to recall from my mind. It's by an apostle I believe and goes something like: "knowledge carefully recorded is knowledge available in time of need." How cool is that? It's practically a promise that if we take the time to write down the knowledge Heavenly Father blesses us with, we will be able to refer back to it when we need it most. Something I've always said (and probably told many people a thousand times) is that your pen is an antennae to the spirit. Writing things down shows Heavenly Father that you care about what his spirit is revealing to you, which in turn blesses you with more knowledge to write and more and more and more and more. Get the picture?
     Something I like to involve in my daily study is "Preach My Gospel." It's a must have for all missionaries and all members. But I'm 98% sure you already knew that. If we want to be successful tools in the Lord's hands as missionaries (full time or member missionaries), we have to utilize the tools he has already given us. Yes, you could argue that the MTC (Missionary Training Center) is where you can learn what you need to teach as a missionary. But, how much time could you save if you already knew? You could get straight to work instead of having to waste time. Think of how many more people would be blessed by that! Just a thought. hopefully a little motivation.
The First Presidency wrote in the front of PMG "We challenge you to rise to a new sense of commitment to assist our Father in Heaven in His glorious work. Every missionary has an important role in helping "to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man" (Moses 1:39). The Lord will reward and richly bless you as you humbly and prayerfully serve Him. More happiness awaits you than you have ever experienced as you labor among His children."
I'm definitely not perfect. But I know that through Christ all things are possible (Philippians 4:13)!

No comments:

Post a Comment