Monday, June 16, 2014

You Might Cry 6/16/2014 Sister Johnson Email!!

THIS WEEKKKKK:
So here in the mission boundaries they do this program called two-week missionaries. Teenagers like 17-20 or somethingish sign up to come out with a set of missionaries for 2 weeks and test out the waters. So today Sister Nash and I got a two week missionary!!! Her name is Sister Bills, she is from Ontario (MY FIRST AREA- but a different ward) and she is 20! She wants to put in her mission papers as soon as she returns from being a 2 week missionary. So we had to drive down the hill (lingo for drive down the mountain to the valley where rancho cucamonga is) this morning to pick her up from the mission office. There is probably only like 10 guys and 10 girls who signed up to do it. So Sister Nash and I were really excited to be chosen to have a 2 week missionary! Anyways, it's 50 miles to the mission office. And of course 50 miles back. And on the way back, we missed our exit to get off the freeway because we were talking and went 20 miles too far. hahahahaha so we ended up in the middle of the desert on our way to Las Vegas (which is surprisingly only like 120-160 miles away). Hahaha fortunately after a while I realized and we turned around. It was hilarious and such a good way to start our day with Sister Bills, so she could see my blonde-moments shining through. Don't worry though, I am a safe driver. Me and Sister Nash know how to use a map like champions. But I have no sense of direction without one. 
This week was crazy awesome. we got 3 new investigators!!! Man, I am so lucky to be in this ward. In Ontario, we were lucky if we got a new investigator within 6 weeks. Julia is on the road to baptism like a champion. She is the sweetest. This week she told us how much she loves us and is grateful we are teaching her. I almost cried, because at that moment I knew that I knew her before this life. It was a sweet tender mercy from the Lord for me to see that I was sent here to this area for her. What a privilege to be teaching such a wonderful and humble woman with such a sweet spirit. Man, I love missionary work. Have I mentioned that I probably won't come home??? I'll be a missionary forever, thank you very much. 
Both Ashley and Sister Kirchner are still coming to church. They are on the road to being active again!!! Sister Kirchner hasn't smoked for 8 days. I am so insanely proud of her. She is almost 60, but I feel like she is my little daughter that I get to watch out for and cheer on when she chooses the right. Idk if that sounded really weird. But you hopefully know what I mean. 
Okay, so I feel like I should say this, because I know that missionary work sounds really beautiful and easy when I talk about it. It is wonderful, but it's not easy. We have to face rejection, hatred, anger, disappointment, distress, heartache, poverty, hunger... Every day I go into people's houses who don't have enough to eat, or they are struggling to find a job, or getting evicted from their homes. They struggle with every sickness, injury, and physical handicap you could imagine. There are the one's who are depressed, angry at God, angry at themselves, or searching for hope. I want so badly to reach into my wallet and hand them everything I have (which by the way wouldn't begin to put a dent into the amount of debt they have). But instead I am called to Preach the Gospel. I am called to deliver a most sacred message, one that won't fill their mouths, but instead will fill their spirits. Jesus Christ lives, and He loves them. Christ died for them, He paved the way for them to return to live with our Loving Heavenly Father. Salvation isn't easy because it wasn't easy for the Son of God. They face these challenges because they need to experience the Atonement working in their lives. We are meant to learn how to rely on Him. I know that God has a Plan for each one of His children, and it pains me to see them reject that Plan. It pains me to see a door close in our faces, not because I feel offended but because I know that they are rejecting the Son of God, the man that we stand as representatives of. I am so grateful for the comfortable life I live. I am grateful that I have always had a roof and food. I never had to question if those things would be there. I have the most wonderful parents who have raised me in the gospel and taught me how to rely on Christ. I am so grateful to teach, to share, to testify, and to be a listening ear. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't have to get on my knees and plead for the upliftment and strength of the enabling power of the Atonement, and I know that if a day goes by that I don't turn to Christ for help, then I'm not trying my hardest, not giving my best. And trust me, I still have a long way to go. I just want everyone to know that missionary work isn't easy, but it's not meant to be. The best missionary to every walk this earth was rejected by man, bled from every pore, and was hung on a cross. Out here I see the world, and the world isn't really happy. But we aren't meant to be of the world.
Adam fell that mean might be, and med are that we might have Joy! So Break Forth into Joy! The Lord will Redeem His people, and all ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God. 

With love and gratitude
Sister Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment